Wednesday, April 04, 2007

New & interesting subjects of study... or not

See, this is what I am talking about when I say that usually in countries in which the vast majority of the population has its basic needs fulfiled (i.e. food, hygiene, health and roof), it is more common to see that kind of crap as a PhD theme. Not that I don't like it, is that I just completely miss the point of how that research will do the slightest benefit to people for example who are starving. Is not that I find my PhD completely useful to people who are starving... because they actually wouldn't benefit from it... directly, it's just that I really really don't see the point of studying (using MR imaging and complex stuff like that) how rich people react to monetary rewards of under 200 pounds. Do you see the point of it? please let me know!

Ok, that might have been my cruel and unfunny opinion but I still don't see the point!... so I'll keep doing that whenever I feel like it and there's nothing you can do about it ;) or maybe until some of you... trio of readers... if you still read this... come out with an answer about how does that kind of research matter... and why should we bother to keep trying to study something useful if in the end we will end up earning the same degree as the one they gave to that guy studying rich/poor people reactions to monetary rewards.

2 comments:

Caleb Rascon said...

you never know which subject is going to be important in the future: Euler had no idea his transform would create such an interesting chain of events that would lead all the way to my field...

i completely understand your point, though; the topic seems a little bit silly. Although, you know what they call a PhD student with a barely-passing grade? Doctor. and this person has shown that he can do some real research, which i understand that's what the title PhD actually means, he just chose a weird topic... and now that i think about it, it's really kind of interesting: he's refuting a very old economic theory which i would think is a big deal to Economy scholars.

so that's my two cents... ironically =P

ngo said...

I suppose as engineers we need to be practical. So this kind of studies we see them as a waste of time. But i agree with you, some research seem to be silly and with no use to humanity.

We don't know maybe, in the future this will be applicable to some wierd conspiracy of the goverment to manipulate poor populations. Now, I'm getting worried.